There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of piping hot soup to get through the cold days.
The best part about this soup is, it does not require any fancy ingredients and you can double or triple the quantity by adding milk or water, as per your choice and preference.
Even though this recipe has milk and butter in it, seeing the green color my brain automatically assumes it is a salad! Can you blame me?
It almost has more than a pound of spinach packed into it and topped with baked whole wheat croutons! Can a soup get healthier than this?
I was tempted to add more ingredients such as onions and garlic into the soup, as according to an “Indian” palate this soup appears to be relatively bland, hehe :P.
But do not let the creamy ingredients fool you, this soup is packed with minerals and vitamins and perfectly seasoned with salt, pepper and spinach puree.
Hope you make this recipe a part of your kitchen diary and let me know how it turns out!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 people
2 cups Spinach Leaves (blanched and pureed)
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp All purpose flour
2 cups Milk
1 cup water (if required, optional)
1 tsp Salt or to taste
Black Pepper powder to taste
1. To make spinach puree, add spinach leaves in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Remove them immediately and place under cold water. After they are cooled, make puree in a mixer.
2. Heat butter in a pan. Add all purpose flour and mix them with a silicone whisk until combined for 2 minutes.
3. Add milk, one cup at a time and cook until it thickens while whisking continuously. You can also use one cup water + one cup milk instead.
4. Add pureed spinach+ salt + pepper, stir well for 3-4 minutes until a creamy soup like consistency is achieved. Add more water if you think it has thickened too much.
5. Pour soup in a bowl + add your favorite croutons and slurp it away.