Where have you been all my life dear eggs , poached in simmering tomato sauce, made using just one pan?
I am telling you this egg recipe is life changing!
The most important part is the egg timing. If you keep it for a long time and move away to check your Instagram or email then the yolk will be dry and hard, and if you turn the heat off too soon you will end up with a runny egg white and yolk.
With a little bit of practice, I have managed to narrow down the timing to about 8-9 minutes as soon as you crack in those eggs.
This works for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Actually, you can play with this recipe, add in more colorful bell peppers, mushrooms and make it for brunch.
Throw this on top of a crunchy toast and ahh.. you are in business!
This dish is popular in Israel and is known as ‘Shakshouka’ which means eggs poached in tomato sauce with onions and flavored with cumin powder. (Thank you google)
I love this concept and is becoming one of my go to dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2 people
Ingredients 2 tomatoes chopped 1 can of crushed tomatoes 4 large eggs 3 Tablespoons butter 1 small onion, finely chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional) 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder 1/4 cup chopped coriander additional salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large saucepan or skillet on medium heat. Melt in butter, and add in chopped onion, salt and garlic till soft.
- After the onions appear to be slightly golden brown add in crushed tomatoes or any of your favourite tomato sauce and cumin powder.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat.Check for seasoning (salt and pepper), add half teaspoon red chili powder for some spicy kick(optional).
- Make four small circles in the pan add crack in four eggs. Poach them in the sauce for about 8-9 minutes or until the whites are set. Top it off with chopped coriander and a sprinkle of garam masala.
- Mash this on a toast and tell me if you can stop eating this!
4 Comments Add yours
Love this dish 🙂
Thank you so much 😊Hope you give them a try.